Storm Emma and the Beast from the East are in full sway, here at If I Knew You Were Coming, we love a snow day, it’s a chance to light the fire, put on warm PJ’s and bake!
Here are a couple of our go to easy baking recipes for those times you just don’t have a wide range of ingredients and need the comforting smell and taste of a delicious homemade bake!
- 100 g (4 oz)Margarine
- 100 g (4 oz)caster sugar
- 2 medium Eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) Self Raising Flour
- Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Fill a bun tray with 12 bun cases.
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each.
- Gently fold in remaining flour.
- Spoon the mixture into pre-prepared bun cases and bake for around 15 mins.
We like to top with a delicious buttercream using 50g butter or margarine, creamed together with 100g sieved icing sugar, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a dash of milk. If you want a quicker topping melt 100g of milk chocolate in the microwave and simple spoon over the top of the fairy buns! Delicious and comforting for when you have returned from making a snowman!
- 125g/4oz butter
- 55g/2oz caster sugar, plus extra to finish
- 180g/6oz plain flour
- Heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste, empty on a worktop and roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick.
- Cut into shapes and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
- Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
For those times when you want to bake something a bit different that you may not have the ingredients for, our baking kits and baking subscriptions hit the spot. We have tasty recipes for Brownies, Cookies and Muffins. Yum!